Wednesday, September 10, 2014

My First Japan-Fractor!

Hiya guys, I've been picking up a bunch of cards recently but I wanted to blog about this one in particular before the others.

As collectors I'm sure we all know about how Topps, Bowman and the other companies have started going crazy with parallels. You've got parallel cards that are available in every color known to man, you've got exclusive parallels given out at conventions like the National, you've got parallels are distributed exclusively online, and now you've also got parallels that are only available in other countries.


BEHOLD!
This is what is commonly referred to as a "Japan-fractor." These refractors are exclusive to products that had special Asian versions released in Japan, Taiwan, China, South Korea, and various other parts of Asia.
These Japan-fractors were first introduced to the collecting world in 2012 when the Japanese Edition of Bowman Sterling hit the market.

Photo Courtesy of Tatami Imports, Toronto

These special refractors feature a unique design that somewhat resembles the patterns (for lack of a better word) on tatami mats (traditional Japanese flooring mats made out of straw).
These refractors are always low-numbered parallels. If memory recalls the non-auto'd refractors in Bowman Sterling (both 2012 and 2013 versions) were numbered to 25, the autographed versions were numbered to five, and in 2014 Bowman Platinum these non-auto Japan-fractors are numbered to 35 (as of this moment I'm not sure if there are autographed ones).

Its so pretty!

Anyway the Gary Sanchez Japan-fractor above is from the Asian Edition of 2014 Bowman Platinum. To my knowledge it is now the third time a product has featured Japan-fractors. And I'm 100% sure that it's the first Japan-fractor in my collection. Considering how I'm a Japanese guy who spent one third of his life (so far) in Japan, this is LONG overdue.

It's numbered to 35!

I picked it up on eBay for $4.20 (hehe, 420) and most of it went to shipping. Ironically enough the seller was actually based in the US but no matter, I have my first Japan-fractor (technically it's my second Japan-fractor but I traded the first one I had months ago) and I can sleep well at night knowing that this post will give some of you team/player collectors nightmares about cards that you had no idea had existed (and never wanted to know they existed) and have little-to-no chance of ever obtaining. Thus causing them haunt your want lists for the rest of your lives. You're welcome.

I can't stop looking at it!

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

One more time ;)

4 comments:

  1. Whoa whoa whoa. Had no idea anything like this existed. Really cool card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I wasn't aware of these either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. Introducing people to new Japanese-exclusives is my side-gig ;).

      Delete