Thursday, September 4, 2014

OT: Tick, Tick, BOOM!

As a human being, I enjoy listening to music.
I listen to a little bit of everything and find (or try to find) enjoyment in every genre (and sub-genre) that exists (even in languages I can't understand) but I do have my favorites.
One of the my favorite musical acts ever is the Swedish rock band The Hives.


I was first introduced to The Hive five back in 2007. They had just released their fourth album "The Black And White Album" and the lead single from that album Tick Tick Boom was really taking off after being used in movies, tv shows and commercials (no, I'm not ashamed to admit that I started liking a band after they got big). I loved how energetic the song was and how the band just came at you at full force.
Naturally I got interested in the rest of their music and thanks to the internet and some local mom and pop record stores I soon had their entire discography in my iPod.

The band consists of six members. Lead singer Howlin' Pelle Almqvist, guitarist Nicholaus Arson, guitarist Vigilante Carlstroem, bassist Dr. Matt Destruction, drummer Chris Dangerous and the mysterious Randy Fitzsimmons. Boy, and I thought the Americans gave their children weird names.
(Yes, I'm aware that those are all stage names the band members decided to give themselves).


Anyway, you're all probably wondering why I'm talking about a Swedish rock band that performs all their songs in English. Well I'll tell you why.


I picked up this card of Pelle Almqvist on eBay that's why. After reading Dime Box Nick's posts about cards that feature music acts I went out searching for some of my favorite recording artists who've been immortalized on cardboard. Now I suppose that this technically doesn't count since this is a playing card and you can find playing cards for lots of bands, but considering how The Hives don't have cards (playing ones or otherwise) I'll take what I can get.
Now one of the things on my bucket list is to see The Hives in person (their live performances are truly fantastic) and try to get Pelle's autograph on it.
And speaking of autographs...


I also picked up this signed booklet of the five-some's latest album Lex Hives (released in 2012). I only got the booklet but I already bought the CD on release day so I don't mind :).

This is the first time I ever went out of my way to collect anything other than CDs related to my favorite artists. Luckily I didn't suffer a huge financial hit this time but some of the other bands and artists I really like are going for a lot, so I'll probably wait until they fall into obscurity like the trillions of musical acts that came before them.


As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

8 comments:

  1. Tick Tick Boom was one of my favorites when it came out. Good call!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see I wasn't the only one who liked that song.

      Delete
  2. "Nipsey Hussle"? I don't know what I like more, the play on "Nipsey Russell" or the fact that damn few people who would listen to Nipsey Hussle would get the reference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would play Walk Idiot Walk anytime someone screwed up at my old job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even when you bring up good music, you make me feel old! I've been listening to The Hives since 2000....I Hate to Say I Told You So. LOL.

    ReplyDelete